Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Tagged, a gazillion times

I hate to think how many times I've been tagged recently and haven't gone through with it. I've always meant to, but it's taken a long time to think of 8 things that are vaguely interesting. Plus, I already feel weird/guilty about the fact that this blog is all about me rambling about myself and my work, day in day out... and then writing 8 random things about myself makes me feel like I'm being even more egocentric. But anyway here goes:

- I really really want a cat. I've been researching breeds and have my fingers crossed the landlord will say yes. At the moment I think I want to get a Burmilla (this changes often).

- I used to be really freaked out by the idea of "collaborating" with other creatives. I'm not sure why. Probably insecurity. Although even now I much prefer the idea of collaborating with people in the craft world than the design world.

- I was recently involved in what I deem the-quickest-and-easiest-swap-ever, and I've been meaning to blog about it for ages. I got an email from Jess from papertreasure who wanted one of my lamps (and i was just thinking that day that it needed to go to a new home) and in return I got this:


The 'lara' necklace (coincidentally named), some cute earrings and a handmade book



- When I got back from Japan I realised how much service can really suck over here. It feels like more than half the people who serve you in shops and cafe's (and esp those on the phone!) wear their shitty moods on their sleeves and can be incredibly rude.

- I hate baguettes. Or any sort of bread based lunch item that has tough, chewy bread that cuts your mouth. How is anyone supposed to bite into something like that?

- I realised last week that making an artful picture arrangement on your walls is nowhere near as easy as it looks. But here's the result of my efforts:




Note: It's not that I love myself so much that the birch forest print is in there, it just happened to be the right colour and size. I plan to swap it with something else eventually :)

- Mum and Dad brought these back from the States for me:


Lara bars! Very funny. They're actually quite good. And healthy, I think.

The day after I got back from my trip I felt all inspired, so I set about painting my ikea drawers:



Done and done. I'm not going to tag anyone else in case they find this as hard as I do!

18 comments:

Heather Moore said...

Whew. Well done!

Anonymous said...

The art arrangement looks great! And I love the Ikea drawers paninted too!

Anonymous said...

wow, love your drawers, I got mine 2 weeks ago and I want to customize them , but I've been too busy lately, Are the two right drawers form ikea also? I haven't seen them before, were did get get those, they look handy :)

Jason said...

I know what you mean about service in Australia! Compared to Japan it's awful! Great service in Japan is a reason why I like living here so much. The last time I visited Australia, I couldn't wait to return home to Japan. I had forgot about waiting in long lines and the loud music in the supermarkets. Not looking forward to it when I get back...whenever that is.

Becka said...

I agree I hate baguettes too! tough, chewy bread that cuts your mouth, never a good thing. Actually the other day I have over-toasted bread and it too cut my mouth. Ouch.

Anonymous said...

great job on the list. i have to agree ... after being in japan you realize how crappy customer service is back home. wherever that is. that is definitely one of the things i love about my new home.

Anna said...

Love the drawers! Very cute!

Anonymous said...

lara, if you think the service people there are rude, you should come to Singapore. haha!

Deirdre said...

lmao about American service and baguettes.

good post.

Deirdre said...

. . . unless you live in Australia and meant Australian service, in which case I'm an idiot.

American service workers wear their shitty attitudes on their sleeves also.

mizu designs said...

Oh I'm so glad you had a good trip to Japan. I know what you mean about the amazing service there. It was a huge re-adjustment for me to come back to 'easy going' Australia.

Riverlark said...

Here's a great tip that I learned about hanging multiple things on the wall. Cut out paper to the size of your frame and mark where the nail needs to go. Then just tape up the papers until you get the arrangement the way you like it and put a pin mark through the paper's nail mark. They're easy to move around until you get what you like.

Anonymous said...

hahhahaa Lärabar would mean learning bars in Swedish :P

Florence Knapp (Flossie Teacakes) said...

Those ikea drawers look gorgeous. I can't stand going there, but they've tempted me!

broadcast poulet said...

TOTALLY agree with you on the baguette thing.

ha!!!

service in canada is slow, slow, slow. everywhere. but at least the people are nice... rude people are just not cool.

:)

madi

MissK said...

The art arrangement looks great on your wall.

Anonymous said...

Love those drawers. I'd love to do something similar for all of my jewelry odds & ends.

radian said...

my mom bought me a case of larabars to bring to work with me. they're odd but addictive.

your ikea drawers are inspiring. i've got a couple of tiny lack coffee tables, also from the icky-ah that i need to attack with a sharpie in the near future.