Sunday, September 16, 2007

development, thoughts and a newbee

Well, the perfect linen has been found! (thanks to Kristen). It's actually a cotton/linen blend, and a little more expensive than the others I looked at, but well worth it I reckon. Most of the other linen blends I looked at had a very manufactured feel about them. It felt like the colour was achieved by bleaching and dying, rather than letting the natural colour of linen and all it's subtle variations show through. So I'm happy with my final choice and I reckon my customers will be too. And after calculating it all out, my increase in cost is fairly minimal, so I won't have to bump the price up by much - phew!

Wholesale orders sorted, fabric order placed, colours chosen, now we just play the waiting game. If you want some hand printed lovelyness in the meantime, look no further than Hollabee's etsy shop, who has just released her own new fabric! We're multiplying, it seems :)

I must confess something. I had a revelation the other night, whilst at a dinner party flicking thru a friend's new copy of Lotta's Simple Sewing (my copy is in the mail - yay). I was looking at all the lovely photography of her textile designs in context, and was really struck by how much
that was what I wanted to be producing. That feel, those sorts of designs, that level of simplicity, that texture. And it really struck me how much what I have done so far isn't really in that direction at all. Not that what I've done is bad or anything, just not really where I want to be. It resonates with one answer I received to my questionnaire that's been stuck in my head: "some of us are minimalists, you know".

So yeah, I really want to start taking things in that direction. I think my ginkgo design is leading that way, and I'm very happy about that. I'm not going to push it too hard but it'll be interesting to see where things lead. I hope you still like it!

Meanwhile great news - the landlord said yes about the cat! I can't believe it. Neither could my agent it seems. Now on to finding the perfect kitty.

15 comments:

Bianca said...

Thanks Lara ;)

Can't wait to see a pic of your -future- new, cute, little kitten...Our landlord wouldn't approve of it I think..but then..the poor little thing would be alone a lot..we're never home...

Goodluck with the search..and the name-game.

thanks again for mentioning me on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Saw the gold and brown delievery at Patchwork On Central. Off to Japan on Sunday

Anonymous said...

i love your work so far and i look forward to seeing what you come up with as you refine your personal style. i was at a craft fair this weekend and was excited to see a handbag stall featuring some of your fabrics! i was like, oh i know her, sort of.

Anonymous said...

i see what you mean !
sometimes, you finish your work, look at it quite satisfied of it and then there is a 'don't know what' that strikes your thoughts : that's not simple enough !

Victoria E said...

Yay for fabric and kitties! :D I very much look forward to seeing your designs on versatile linen.

On another note, when I compared your work to Lotta's in our interview post, it looks like I wasn't too far off base ;)

CREATIVEGoddess said...

Love your site, Kirin; I've been stalking it for just a little while.

I'm doing a little realignment in my own studio and would love to embark on some fabric options. While I have a design background, I don't really have the knowledge of fabric + printing base.

I see you're in Australia (me: US) and I'm wondering if you'll let us in on the linen you found?

Oh, and it's too bad about the pond between us... I've got the perfect cat (Pip) that is an angel in the studio that needs to be adopted out to a good home. Sigh

Anonymous said...

Interested to see your new work when it comes out Lara.
I like what you are doing, but I too love the work of designers like Lotta, Julie Patterson from Cloth, and Bookhou designs (designers name escapes me at the moment)- very organic and understated, simple but elegant.
So- love to see your designs pared back a bit.
More beautiful fabrics to work with is fine by me!

Heather Moore said...

Yay, having a cat (or two) is fantastic. We really don't miss TV at all cos ours are such a hoot.

I totally get what you say about looking at Lotta's book. I often feel that although I'm pleased with my own designs, I don't know if I would necessarily rush off and buy them myself because I can see too many things I might prefer to be different. I wonder if I will one day make things that I cannot live without in my own home? However, I take hope in what I read about Lucienne Day: she couldn't live with any of her own fabrics either!

meetmeatmikes said...

Hey Ms Lara! Just checking in to say - ace that you found some great Linen! And I will be emailing you re the tags! And hoping you enjoyed the sunny day today! xx pip

Corrie said...

Well I love the new linen and colours and can't wait till they arrive and I'm sure all your customers will have the same ums and ahhs about fabrics and colours that I had....lovely!

I'm sure whatever you design I will adore and look forward to it!

Daydream Lily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'd love to know where the perfect linen is from too! I can't find anything nice.

Anonymous said...

You do realise I am allergic to cats??? so when you hear someone yelling your name from outside your place itll be me....

Anonymous said...

Kitties are indeed perfect. May I recommend an old-fashioned, applehead, traditional Siamese like my buddy -- see him at www.teetertoes.blogspot.com. I love him!

Y. Metin Yıldırım said...

saat forex zayıflama hapları gizli kamera