Wednesday, September 05, 2007

all gones

Deary me. That all got snapped up pretty quickly. I'm flattered as always, and very grateful that I get to do this fabric thing alongside the rest of my work. I do get a bit stressed and worrysome when a new design comes out though. Especially if one design in the pair sells much better than the other. You see (not sure if it's obvious or not) but I print two designs off the same screen at once. So they're always printed together, in the same colours, in the same quantity, and on the same bolt of fabric (which is later cut in two). I've deliberated endlessly as to whether or not this is a good idea. On one hand, it really helps to reduce my production costs, allows me to change colourways more often, and produce a wider range of designs. On the other hand it's less flexible, and makes wholesale orders tricky.

That all said, I think I've come up with a new way to solve that problem - two colour prints! Through a bit of fancy-ness I can use a similar approach to print inverse versions of a two colour design. Like this:





Also note the linen basecloth! It's time for a change around here and linen is the way to go. And it was confirmed by your answers to my little questionnaire - thanks for that! For a minimal price difference I'll now be able to print on linen or a cotton/linen blend, and give the whole print a lot more character. I'm really excited about this!

Okay enough rambling from me. bedtime!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara! I simply love your work! I think the two-color process is a great idea. Your new print, fabric, and colors are wonderful. You are a true inspiration!

Victoria E said...

Linen will be especially good for home accessory projects - good call :) I also like the new patterns with dual colors!

Anonymous said...

Love the two colors, the pattern, the linen—all gorgeous! I'm envisioning some placemats in this fabric. I hope it's in your shop soon!

Jesse said...

What beautiful designs - so pretty without being in the slightest bit twee! I love how the ink sits on the linen. It looks softer.

zelia said...

gorgeous. those are just very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Linen! Yay!

Amy Nieto said...

Great job as always!

Meghan said...

I adore your gingko design! And the two colors are great. I hope I manage to get my hands on some when you print it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I won't be able to resist the linen at all... the new two-colour process looks fabulous ;)

Kate said...

Love the gingko design!

Anonymous said...

Hello Lara,
I didn't know about the questionaire, but I also just bought another piece of your printed fabrics - and it is funny, that you write now that you plan on printing on linen and cotton/linen mixes.. that is probably the only thing, I would have pointed out, because I simply love the feel of those fabrics.. but, I like how the one color works for your prints and graphics and not sure, if I am the only one, but I could also just see only the leaves work in a one color print.. nic

Danielle said...

Jaw dropping gorgeous! Oh I can't wait to see your new print in the shop. The colors are wonderful and yay linen!

Anonymous said...

linen is the best! i think you should keep to linen from now on! that's what been keeping me from buying so far... heheh
will you consider reprinting the others on linen too? PLEASE?

Anonymous said...

i love those leaves. i gocco'd some of those awhile ago. perfect for fabric. love your design!

Heather Moore said...

You're too much! That is so beautiful and what a brilliant solution to your dilemma! I'm very jealous that you've managed to break the two colour barrier too. Linen is excellent. Woweee!

Jade said...

Ooooh, can't wait for the printed linen with these leaf prints....it'll be stunning!

lu summers said...

og good grief, i'm drooling. everything is perfect, the base cloth, the colours, the design. way to bloomin' go!

Jennifer said...

When is this coming out? Because I see some jumpers in my future for my children with that fabric!

Anonymous said...

Please print the gingko design- love it!
The linen is a great move, I hope you will still have the cotton as well.
Your choice of colors is spot on too. :)

Tali said...

wow - beyooootiful! lovely design.

MissK said...

I hope you print this,absolutely love it.

sooz said...

I didn't think I needed a dual colour fabric but I was so very wrong. It is gorgeous! Please please please don't sell out!

Anonymous said...

sivilce ve selilütlere karşı etkili yosun sabunu satış sitesi