Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Kiva



I really like this concept. This evening I heard about Kiva whilst listening to Triple J and have already signed up to contribute. Kiva is a website through which you can loan money to a specific entrepreneur in a developing country. I like this analogy:

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will feed every day. Loan him money for a boat and he will have a fishing business." Pretty cool.

You can loan as little as $25, but given that you can give the money straight from your paypal account it's a no brainer to loan a little bit more. And it gives you that feel good feeling, hey?

Go on, doooo it!

5 comments:

caitlin said...

What a fantastic concept!! I'm on to it!

flowerpress said...

Done it! Great link Lara, thanks.

Red Hen (dette) said...

What a fabulous idea. I often do a similar thing through Oxfam - buying a business loan for a woman in third world countries, You buy cards for a goat or chickens wells etc. The business one is my fav. When I have spare cash or am feeling particularly fortunate in my life I pop into the shop and buy one.

Anonymous said...

That is such a great idea!
Thanks for sharing ;o)

Anonymous said...

My son had several bake sales at his school to start a Kiva loan account. I added some and his big brother added some and he's has $250 that he reloans whenever it gets paid back. :)