Sunday, July 01, 2007

Little Squares

For some time now I've been thinking that bits of my fabric would make nice coasters. So, I finally ventured into the scary world of my unreliable sewing machine.

It actually turned out to be less scary than expected.
I got some mysterious tangled threads in my bobbin area at first, and the machine made some horrible clacking noise as it sewed, but the tension was even and I got a nice stitch, and nothing went wrong except me sewing one side of the first coaster back-to-front. Yay! Nothing a bit of quick-unpick can't fix.





I have no real plans for these, just a bit of fun. I could never sell them for enough to cover the materials and time it takes slow-little-me to make them, and although they're washable I couldn't really bring myself to stain them with rings from tea and red wine. Maybe they'd make a good pressie for someone though :)

Today was the first day of the new F/Y, but it's also significant for another reason which I'm OVERJOYED about. The first day of the smoking ban in all pubs/bars in Melbourne! How awesome is that!? Took them bloody long enough. I'm sick of coming out of a venue reeking of other people's filth, and I've never understood why the hell there are people out there who are just "social smokers". What's with that?? No more o' that, thank you very much (unless u want to freeze your ass off outside).

Anyway enough ranting, hope everyone had a great weekend. Oh and there's new fabric up in the shop!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

can you finish off mine? hehe...
looks great!

Anonymous said...

Oh they looks super! What a great idea. I am sure someone would love to have those as a present :)

Jessicah said...

You could get a frame for them or pop them in shadow boxes- the birds would look great flying over the trees!

Anonymous said...

The ban started in England today too - yay!!! No more smoky hair! and the fabric is gorgeous...

Kristen Doran said...

Love 'em. Going to have a go at it myself - what a great present idea.
No more stinky smoke. Who was the genius that thought of starting the ban in the middle of winter?

joanne said...

yippeee so with you Lara on the ban of smoking! Suffer in your jocks stinky smokers! Love the coasters - very cute.

steven mcvay said...

the smoking ban has started here in england too, may birds poop on the heads of all the outside smokers..
and the coasters are cool. x

Anna said...

yes, the 'no-smelly-clothes' thing is so good! i think people get over it pretty quickly (unless you smoke)

Cute idea making your own coasters!

Anna

Anonymous said...

Hello Lara, hehe thanks about the birds! Actually ...I forgot i put some in KiB. I am so not organised with my crafting.

Hey, I just saw another place you may want to visit in Tokyo: Sadaharu Aoki. Looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

oh but they are fantastic

lupinbunny said...

the ban isn't all it cracks up to be. Perth's had it for a couple of years now. You'll end up freezing your ass off outside when smoker friends insist on staying out there, and all your more tolerant friend hang out with them, meaning you have to also. Also the smokers will form a solid ring round the outside of the pub meaning you still have to endure smokiness to get into the pub in the first place.
bitter, me? Never.

Anonymous said...

The coasters are AWESOME! i'm sure some people would buy them, you should try! :)

I feel like making me some with your fabric now! lol

ellyy said...

these are lovely lara! whoever said blue and green (or olive) should never be seen is a damn liar. ;}

i'm chuffed about the smoking ban too! hopefully the ban and the cold weather will encourage smokers to stop altogether. i'm pretty sure all that smoke and packaging isn't great for the environment either.

hmc said...

I agree - so happy about the ban. now I can look like an irresponsible mother and bring my baby boy out with us ;o)

Tally said...

I like the coaster I see in blogland but I always wonder if they are for using. Just thinking of all this stain they take instead of the tablecloth.

Smoking will be prohibited in most restaurants from next year on in Hamburg.
Hello from a happy 7-yrs-old nonsmoker!
:-Tally-: