Sunday, July 08, 2007

'Moment of Truth' Reversible A5 Journal Cover

I've been quite inspired by the fact that my sewing machine didn't let me down when I was making those coasters. Now I feel a new sense of freedom when it comes to project ideas that require my trusty old machine and overlocker!

A friend of mine recently bought one of those plain financial year diaries, and I suggested that we cover it with some fabric. Unsure of the best way to do this I decided to do a test run on one of my own journals (I love the beautiful hand-bound books that I've been given but often there's a need for a crappy A5 visual diary that you feel no preciousness about at all - but can still make look pretty).

Anyway, I spent a good part of the afternoon drawing diagrams of how I could best make a journal cover. One with pockets which the front and back covers slide into, and with no exposed seams. I knew there'd be some fancy, tricky way to sew it which would all come out perfectly once popped the right way out (hence the title of this post). I finally came up with a solution that seemed promising, did a test run with paper with heartening results, then crossed my fingers and tried it with fabric.



And it worked! I'm sure I'm not the first person to figure this out, but it was a fun problem solving exercise. Oh and there was a bonus surprise - the cover is reversible! Turn it out a different way and the inside lining becomes the outside and vice versa :)

Tute?

20 comments:

Homegrown {& the Bug} said...

Oh, yes please!

patricia zapata said...

Great job! Yesterday I started some coasters with your fabric. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great journal cover idea, I have so many boring journal covers that need a spruce up. If you made the pattern smaller you could use it as a business card holder too.

Anonymous said...

Yes, please! It looks fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Oh it looks great! And reversible too! Tute? Yes please!

ellyy said...

I remember in highschool when I used to draw in those hard cover black plastic sketchbooks with the cardboard back. I always used to get scratched or poked when I reached in to grab it.

Clever (and gorgeous) idea Lara! :}

Ali said...

Tute? Does Dolly Parton sleep on her back? Of course we need one!!

Because I'm planning on a lot of these in Christmas stockings and I need to get started.

Kate said...

Great cover! Love your fabrics - I made a bag with some today.

Lissy said...

Gorgeous :)

Anonymous said...

yay for tute!

Anonymous said...

Oh how lovely, these notebooks covers are wonderful - how clever to make them reversible. I'd love a tute for these.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Reversible journal covers -- I can't think of a better way to dress up boring ol' diaries!

Been quite busy for awhile, and I miss dropping by--congrats for you being on all three of the lovely design blogs! :D

Anonymous said...

hehe ... looks like you have fun!
In the crafty world there's a type which ppl like to call it the "japanese-style" - similar with tucked in flap, and bookmark thing. there's a lot of cool book covers in japanese craft books ;) And of course this lady makes lovely envelope style ones. But I think I would prefer slip-on types - more functional as you don't have to take the journal out.

Anonymous said...

Those came out wonderful!
Great idea!

jen said...

Um, yes please!

Anonymous said...

Excellent to see. I've been thinking for some time about making day-planner covers for the same reason. Those flimsly vinal calenars are so lightweight and easy to throw in a bag, but look horrible. The reversible aspect had not occured to me. Thanks for the encouragement here.

Anonymous said...

Tute? Yes please! :)

Anonymous said...

It turned out so cute, love the fabrics of course!

AMCSviatko said...

Please!

Clara said...

thoroughly cool! Thank you.