Friday, July 13, 2007

The ultimate sacrifice?

...forgetting for a moment that you ever had an ounce of good taste, and sewing a Wonder Woman costume for a friend's dance competition. Click here to see a picture of this abomination (I wouldn't want to spoil the prettiness of my blog with such an unworthy picture!).

I had such a love hate relationship with this project. The lack of a proper pattern to go off was endlessly stressful, with me worrying that I might have done something wrong and not being able find out till the end. And a lot of the steps (eg side zip, waistband, appliqué) were things I hadn't attempted since high school.

But on the other hand it was so good to do something challenging like this, and proved a lot of things to myself. And it inspired me to try other sewing projects like the journal cover, which are so easy in comparison. Maybe the sewing machine isn't such a scary beast after all!

Anyway, that zapped up a lot of my time so it's back to work. I have so many emails and lovely comments to reply to, so sorry if I haven't gotten back to anyone yet!

Have a great weekend :)

12 comments:

Raya Carlisle said...

Ha! That is a fabulous costume, tacky as it may be. I love those little stars on the shorts. You are a good friend : )

Anonymous said...

I love it. It's hilarious. I will be making my neice a lazytown costume for Halloween...I feel your pain.

futuregirl said...

I think it's awesome! I was expecting something awful when I clicked over ... but you did a great job! :)

Anna said...

Hey I think that you did really well, considering that you don't have much experience with patternmaking and sewing stuff- its obviously (in a strange way) boosted your confidence.
It is hilarious. I would have made it for a laugh! The things we do for friends! :)

Jade said...

That's a great job on the costume! What are you talking about?! Of course, you haven't graced us with photo of it fitted on your friend, but I'm sure it'll look well on her. You should pat yourself on the back.

Unknown said...

Hey! Great costume! I too, make the Wonderful Woman costume, have a look see here at my site...
http://customexoticwear.com/id9.html
I try to make them as authentic as possible. What do you think?

Unknown said...

http://customexoticwear.com

Anonymous said...

I think you should make a smaller version for Lola...

Sherrin said...

What's wrong with that?! You did a great job!

Anonymous said...

hey there!

i came across ur blog after researching for gocco printing How-to. must i say.ur design is gorgeous and its one of a kind.. i love it.

im just curious to know the process of sending ur pattern design to the fabric printer.what size?what software?illusttrator?photoshop? high-res?300 dpi?what format do u send them?how did you do that?

i hope you could clear out my curiousity..its been bugging me.. LOL..thanks..

Anonymous said...

I think the costume looks good, but I can understand how you yourself may not feel it's good enough. I question my work all the time, and somethings just don't work out well. LOL
I hope your pal enjoys wearing it. I plan to make some costumes this Halloween.

Anonymous said...

it looks fabulous! Well done! I love kitch 70s retro stuff though :)

I was hesitant to look at buying some of your fabric but now realise you are an Aussie so might have to be tempted!