Saturday, October 06, 2007

[coming up for air]

Man, i don't usually have super busy, stressful weeks, but this definitely was one. trying to get my fabric up in the shop within 48 hrs of receiving it probably wasn't the cleverest idea at such a time. but the response, again, was fantastic. i'm still really quite stunned at how quickly this stuff sells. it's always a surprise because I'm in it, not outside looking in - I can't really see things for how they are or how appealing they might be.

Check out this awesome post from Pip over at Meet Me at Mikes. All this 'real world' publicity for all the peeps in our little community - I'm so proud of yas all!

Tis funny, a few years ago it felt like all the artisans and crafters you saw at markets and in the paper were (somewhat intimidating), unknown people... and now it feels like we know them all and are all a part of our little community. Or maybe there's still heaps of people out there who I don't know, but because the community has expanded into this online world it doesn't feel so intimidating anymore. Hmm I'm probably not making much sense...

Meanwhile, here's a little contra job I did for my buddy Jeremy over at ImageScience. He needed a 1 year wedding anniversary present for his wife and the themes are clocks and paper. So he commissioned a birch forest clock!



It was fun to put together and it was nice to do something a bit different. Not too hard to make either. You can buy the clock parts from here, and I just got the design printed onto A3 paper and wrapped it (canvas style) around a few pieces of chipboard stuck together (A4 cut down to 21cm x 21cm ). The hole in the middle can be cut out with a cutting knife, or a drill I suppose, if you're careful.



Okay I'm off. Enjoy the rest of your weekend :)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your lovely comment.

The clock looks great. We were actually talking about making a clock for our kitchen today...quite funny that you just made one :) Ours will probably be a photographic one, with one of Marcel's pics.

Anyways, have a great weekend...take a break from cutting fabric ;)

Peacock Chic said...

ohh wow I love the clock!! It fits in so well with the decor. There is nothing like functional art!

Anonymous said...

I adore the clock! I have added making a pretty clock to my list of things to do!

paperseed said...

What a nice idea, and pretty composition. I was also just on moo.com's site and noticed you have some designs there too. I'll have to remember that when I order my second batch!

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about this crafty online community. It is so great to be connected and I feel so proud of everyone's accomplishments.

Anonymous said...

this is my favourite of your current designs, its quite "minimalist" already.

Anonymous said...

guess the cyber world is drawing everyone closer and closer.

i love the clock and how easy it is to assemble!

Stephanie Darling said...

Wow! so very effective!
I'm going to make one for my sister, but I think I might use some of your fabric as the background, I've just got to think if I need to put a coating (of something I don't know what) over the matterial to make it easy to keep dust off it.

Anonymous said...

very cute clock. it's my one year wedding aniversary in January, and you've inspired me Lara :)

Prezzie said...

nice clock, i also made one for my wedding. you can view at www.theprezzie.blogspot.com

i like your blog, hope you don't mind that i posted in my link.