Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Japanesey bag design

I'm loving the warmer weather of late. So good to roll out of bed and feel warm, not freezing. I tend to get very cold when I'm not moving about.

That said, I haven't had much opportunity to get out and about in this fine weather due to spending copious amounts of time at the studio. It's been very productive though, and I feel like everything is getting easier and going much more smoothly.

In preparation for the Melbourne Design Market (November 30th), I've been working on some new products. I've been wanting to design a nice, Japanesey style tote for awhile now, and when Bianca showed me this book, I was immediately inspired by the bag on the front cover. It definitely needed some modifications though, and my version is almost completely different. But that seed of inspiration was very handy:




(needs some internal pockets)



Here's the first prototype I made. I decided it needed interfacing in the top panel:





I think I'll get a bunch of these made for the design market, but am wondering if I should make & sell some kits as well? Then I can cater to everyone during this very budget conscious time. What do you think?

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I would buy a kit, it's a cute bag!

Georgia said...

Absolutely make some kits! I love them - and can already think of a couple of people who would end up with one in their Christmas stocking.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'd love a kit too! That is one gorgeous bag.

Anonymous said...

That's such a lovely bag! It looks so nice and roomy, not to mention your lovely fabrics.

I think kits would be a great idea!

leslie said...

it's perfect, utterly perfect... the colours, the style, the prints... sigh.

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

I like the idea of a kit (though I'd probably just buy the bag myself due to lack of time).

monda-loves said...

Lovely bags Lara, and such nice colour combos.
I'm really enjoying seeing all the new printed things going on in your studio - I am seriously envious.

I have just tagged you over on my blog btw :o)

Monda
x

Anonymous said...

Oooh, great bag. I love the combination of fabrics you used.

I need to get back to sewing.

lupinbunny said...

I'd love a kit :)

CurlyPops said...

I think crafty people would prefer to buy a kit...I sure would!

Laura said...

The bag is cute and looks like it would fit all my "stuff"! I love that you post throughout your printing process. Its great to see the fabric from printing to a finished good.

Shirley said...

it sure wouldn't hurt to try and make a few kits.

Angie from Dear Spring Green said...

I say make a bunch of bags, and if you run out of time, kits. If I saw bags made up, and kits, I would buy the bag! Otherwise, it would end up in my WIP pile! :) I love the bag, it is adorable!

Fer said...

Gorgeous!! Kits are good!

Anna said...

kits are a great idea- people just like making them as well- it gives them a chance to give their own input into the bag :)

edward and lilly said...

The bag is gorgeous and a kit would be awesome, I'd buy one.

Anonymous said...

yes, kits! i have been searching and searching for a nice kit to give to my sister for her birthday, and haven't come up with anything much. so this would be perfect!

Tali said...

very nice, and hey! that looks like the colours of your studio! ;)

Drewzel said...

I would buy a kit as well, love it!

Katy said...

What an adorable bag! I just love your designs and especially the bird!

Anonymous said...

beautiful fabric and bag!!

Sherrin said...

I love this bag! great fambric combo. :o)

Sherrin said...

fabric even! ;o)

Anonymous said...

I would sure buy this kit, particularly because your fabrics are sooooo fabulous. Let me know as soon as you get some together. Take care, Laura

Starla said...

i LOVE it!! it's perfect in so many ways!

Andrew J. Kent said...

Perfect!I love the color combination. It's looks
so gorgeous.

Unknown said...

nice!

my roommate bought a panda bag!
She is just THRILLED with it and can’t put it down.
hkpanda.freetzi.com