Friday, June 27, 2008

Longest R & D phase ever



I've been having some huge blog absences lately - basically same old story of juggling lots of things, yadda yadda. You've heard it here before ;)

One thing I've been working on steadily is my clutch purse design. It's been quite a lot of work to get it perfect - not enough interfacing, interfacing like cardboard, interfacing too heavy, interfacing+wadding too bulky, magnetic clip not reinforced enough, corners too rounded ... until finally I got it right.

And I couldn't have done it without some fantastic advice from the very wonderful Nicole Mallalieu! After much encouragement from Pip I finally got around to visiting Nicole in her studio. And she was so nice! I didn't expect to come away with so much know how (really I should have been paying for a class to get this information) and it was all really valuable advice. Nicole is a self professed perfectionist and my 5 prototype clutches is pretty standard for her. If for some crazy reason you haven't heard of Nikki yet, hop over to her online shop & blog. All the bag making supplies you need, tutorials, classes - a one stop shop :)


A stack of prototypes (yep the wooden feature panel is still in the works :) )


I wasn't very happy with the idea of my clutch purses needing to be clutched. I like my bags to be hands free. So some nice sturdy removable wrist straps needed to be developed :)


Making the wrist straps with a double headed rivet to join together all those layers. My machine was never going to get through all that.

Anyway I've popped a few up in my shop to see if they were worth all this hard work :)

22 comments:

Penny said...

These look gorgeous! When I'm making a new design I keep a paper template of each variation so I know what I've done - I have so many templates everywhere just in case I need it again!

caitlin said...

Nice work Lara! I think all the hard work and multiple prototypes have been worth it! Gorgeous clutches!

Wendy said...

Lara these are gorgeous! They look so perfect :) Looks like your hard work really paid off!

Anonymous said...

Wow your clutches are looking so lovely! Congrats on getting the pattern and materials all right, that must be a good feeling :)

Michelle Engel Bencsko said...

It was worth the effort- these look great! I admire your determination to get it just right.

Anonymous said...

These look great! It looks like the hard work is paying off!

Anonymous said...

So lovely! I have just snapped up one of the clutch purses and also blogged about it! The fabric is fantastic.

picciolo said...

these are gorgeous!
: )

Janice Phillips said...

This is one of my favorite things you've made so far!!

Sew Bettie said...

They are lovely! Well worth all of your effort.

Nikki said...

Yay, Lara! You did it!! And believe me, five prototypes is getting out of it easily (did you notice the ten or so versions of my 300mm Snap purse around the studio...?)

Thanks VERY MUCH for (blush) very kind words.

Michelle said...

Oh, beautiful! I love those little clutches you've made.

I have been meaning to tell you that I framed your print and hung it on my sewing room wall with some other prints. I love how it looks - I get to be inspired by it every day.
http://quiltingmick.blogspot.com/2008/06/and-we-could-pretend-it-all-time.html

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That wooden panel is amazing!

Shirley said...

they are lovely! i love your eye for colors and patterns. i still have tiny scraps of your fabric leftover from my previous purchases. and i must say, sometimes i'm horrible at trying to figure out which patterns mix well with which. luckily most are blue or teal so color-wise it mixes just right. :)

i am so bummed that i have not been able to purchase your recent designs and color variations.

cant wait to read more from you.

9crafty11 said...

Yep definitely worth the effort...the clutch/wristlets looks awesome. I love how you incorporated each style into one!

Anonymous said...

WOW. These are beautiful! I wish I had talent like that.

Anonymous said...

They look great! Always fun to see your wonderful fabrics turned into something great.

Fibo said...

I love the ones with the wooden clasp, they are so different to anything else around these days, and they look gorgeous with your prints.
Oh I've also tagged you for the music meme if you feel like playing :)

edward and lilly said...

They look fabulous, I think I have to get one!

Jo (sparkly green knickers) said...

The clutches are gorgeous, Lara! Just saw your bit in the latest Real Living Mag - congrats on the exposure!

Rika said...

These are great!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful..the clutch is very cute..