Friday, August 10, 2012

The fleeting

You know, I was thinking about what it is that I like about Instagram. Apart from the fact that it's a visual medium and I quite like taking photos, I love the fact that Instagram is all about celebrating the small and simple things. Fleeting moments that we stumble across in our daily lives that we feel are worth pausing and capturing.

You know how there's those cynical people who talk about certain social media saying: "oh that's just full of people telling you what they had for lunch today or some funny shit their kid said". Well you know what? Maybe that's a good thing. Life doesn't have to be full of momentous, hard hitting events. We're never going to be happy if all we're focussing on is the next big thing, the next big holiday or big purchase. I'm big on goals and always having something to work towards but I've realised that my tendency to always set the bar higher and higher means that there's never going to be that feeling of completeness at the end. Instead I've found that happiness needs to comes from enjoying the now, the myriad of minutia, the briefly beautiful, the fleetingly funny, the simple yet striking.


A full double rainbow stretches over Clifton Hill; bright and cheery gloves from Cottage Industry to warm my morning commute; sunshine on the bricks of our Younghusband Building; a miniature garden between the pavers; the beautiful Mattt studio whilst working on a new digital collab; "hash" cookies made by my sister in law (too funny).

 xx

10 comments:

yardage girl said...

I agree with you ~ instagram is about the here and now, and whatever you want it to be. Less words, more pictures. Nice seeing you in the space too!

Paula said...

I agree too. Plus, it's an artistic moment when people see something, frame it, get the composition right and then take a shot and add the treatment. It's about noticing and appreciating.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Beautifully said Lara.

Love, love, love the "hash" cookies!

Joanna said...

agreed! and yes, those hash cookies gave me a real giggle.

CurlyPops said...

You say it so eloquently but that's exactly IT.
Why can't we just celebrate the little moments each day?

sooz said...

Yes, I agree. The now is really all we have. It's wonderful to be reminded to look for it, to appreciate and capture it, to share it. xxx

Isis said...

true that! an that's exactly why i instagram too

Jeanette said...

Yep, this is exactly why I love instagram too.

co•co•marro said...

Totally true! little details make big days :)

Chara Michele said...

I love what you said about happiness! So true!