Monday, July 25, 2011

Beth-Emily & Panelpop

You know when you get a great vibe about someone straight off the bat? Well in the short 15 minutes that I spent chatting to Beth-Emily and Tom in Adelaide at Bowerbird early this year, I knew they were lovely people.

So when they mentioned that they were coming up from Hobart for Design:Made:Trade I barely hesistated before offering them our spare room for a few nights and some delicious home cooked meals :)


Beth-Emily's gorgeous display at Design:Made:Trade

As a thank you for having them stay, Beth gave me one of her prints - one that I had been admiring on their stand. Apart from being spectacularly gorgeous, this was no ordinary print...


'Bird of Sun' Panelpop print by Beth-Emily

It was in fact a Panelpop print. An amazing, wonderful new thing that I had never heard of before.

The surface of a Panelpop is essentially a smooth stone-like substance. It is framed with reclaimed timber and backed with reclaimed polystyerene - materials that have essentially been rescued from landful. Photos or illustrations can be printed onto the surface, and the finished result is amazing.


Hi,
You have saved me from 2000 years of landfill.
As a token of thanks, I will stare diligently at your wall.
Yours sincerely, your Panelpop.


They're funny, too.


Beth's Panelpop print - reverse

I mean how awesome is that!? They even come with a little info booklet pinned on the back which tells you where your materials came from. The timber on my frame is "stringy bark rescued from John's old fence, Camberwell". The polystyrene backing is "saved from the Queen Vic Markets".

Panelpop are based in Fitzroy. Of course, Beth-Emily and Tom being the lovely people they are were more than happy to share how & where the prints had been made. Gotta love the mutual supportiveness of our creative community :)

xx

8 comments:

Leslie said...

Love Beth-Emily and Panelpop.Lucky you getting a gift involving them both.
In fact I was just in Panelpop on Sat after stopping by D.M.T this weekend planning a rather large project. Lots of $$$ but so worth it. I got a cute little photo of my beautiful 20yr old cat who died a year ago done and it was wonderful...I cant recommend the Panelpop peeps enough.

Tess said...

I've walked past Panel Pop a dozen times and have always been intrigued... now I'm definitely going to make an effort to find out more!

Great to see you at DMT by the way! :)

lauren carney said...

beth emily is such a beautiful soul!
every time i see her work i get little butterflies because it's so great! your blog is fantastic too Lara! I looveee ink and spindle immensely! keep up the grand work you creative lady x x

Anonymous said...

lovely design

Michelle said...

That is STUNNING! And I love the idea of Panelpop!

Alex Louisa said...

This is such a lovely post Lara. I love Beth-Emily's work too!

I haven't met her in person, but I did find that she was lovely to work with 'online' for the Flood Appeal earlier in the year.

No doubt you will treasure your print! How good is it that it comes with the story of the materials?

Studio One Designs Pvt. Ltd. said...

Nice idea this panelpop thing. Very interesting!!

Tom said...

Aww - back at you fifteen minute lady :)