Monday, June 13, 2011

The end of an era

So, the last couple of weeks have been a little bit turmultuous.

The first thing that happened is that I lost my poor, faithful old car in an accident on Citylink. A truck merged across two lanes into mine, causing me to swerve, fishtail, spin out, hit the concrete barrier and bounce back into the centre lane facing the wrong way. All very fast and scary but could have been a lot worse! I was totally fine except for a bit of whiplash and general teariness.

http://a.yfrog.com/img615/3168/be8ae.jpg
Goodbye faithful old Skyline

Dodgy as it was, that car has been in our family for 11 years, ever since my brother bought it from one of our childhood friends who I've known since birth (he played Tao whenever we'd reneact the Mysterious Cities of Gold in the backyard).

The second thing that happened is that my real estate agent called and informed me that my landlord wants to move back into my flat. My flat! My beloved little haven, a space all of my own to call home and decorate as I please.


Farewell little Flemington flat (photos by Lucy from TDF)

My flat! Featured in Peppermint and The Herald Sun and The Design Files! But it's funny, after my little abode had it's time in the spotlight I remember feeling like I was ready to let it go. That it had helped me through some tough times and I'd had my fun decorating it up, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have to move.

And it really isn't. The whole car and flat thing kind of came at a good time, more or less. A little bit of a kick up the bum with regards to certain aspects of my life... I can definitely see lots of good times ahead :)

xx

22 comments:

yardage girl said...

Fresh starts are exciting ... are you moving to my hood? Have fun!

Jacinta said...

Phew, glad you're ok. Scary stuff though. Sad about the lovely little apartment but who knows what awesome place you'll be at next! xo

Mookah Studio said...

It's all about the positive approach - bring on change!

Emma - Harvest Textiles said...

oh lovely lara - glad you are OK after your car accident. you poor love. exciting news on the shacking up front though!
em
xo

tess said...

Well your flat IS famous now, I'm surprised they didn't ask for it to remain fully furnished! :) Glad to hear you're okay with it (and OK after that accident! Yikes!)

Leslie said...

Oooh no what a crazy week for you.Glad your car was the only casualty. Still new beginnings and all that. Best of luck with the new chapter - and have no fear you will bring your super style to any new flat that you make your new home.

Sarah Rooftops said...

Aw, I loved Mysterious Cities of Gold and nobody else seems to remember it!

Best of luck with this new chapter in your life; I hope you love it.

Kitten's Lost Her Mittens said...

I'm glad you're ok! I lost my car of eleven years (and had been in my family even before that) just this past winter in a snowy accident. So scary!
But I'm glad that you're looking at both these events as a good thing in the long run.

Unknown said...

Sometimes the universe forces change upon us, it's good that you can see it as a positive thing and so glad you're ok after the car accident! Have fun with new beginnings :)

Alicia said...

So glad you're ok! My kids and I were reversed into (as pedestrians) early this year, and it was really just a bump, but you realise how lucky you after when it's all over don't you? Time for new beginnings and a fresh start, (and a new decorating project?)

Fer said...

Oh my goodness, so glad you're okay! The fact that you can see the positive side of all this is a good sign. Go for it!

PS@AlbanyCreek said...

Glad to hear your're OK after the accident- scary stuff. Just remember, "Celebrate endings - for they precede new beginnings." Jonathan Lockwood Huie

Cheers!

Jesse said...

Scary stuff! So glad you're okay after the accident.

Tina in Boston said...

Wow! I am glad you are OK. What an ordeal! Your flat is indeed cute. I wish you and your man-friend all the best!

Little Bird, Big Chip said...

ah, the man friend. god bless em...hope you find someplace even more fantastic to spruce up x

Shannon said...

Im glad your ok. I moved in with my man friend rather quickly, all is wonderfull and now we have a beautiful little man. So much more fun decorating together, and you have lovely documentation of what you achieved. Good luck

Spin Spin said...

Oh no, a car accident? Poor Lara :( Glad that you're ok tho. Yay for good change though :)

gret said...

Oh the mysterious cities of gold! I lived for that show. Awesome. I'm sure the changes will bring some great things, even though it's rough to say goodbye to everything all at once.

Kymberly said...

I love your flat, it's utterly grand. Would it be too odd if I asked where you got your coffee table from?

Prue said...

I'm guessing the landlord seen the flat in an article and thinks the furnishings might be staying!

Lara said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys, and for all the well wishes. So far so good!

Kym - the coffee table is from Wilkins & Kent. LOVE their stuff!!

Trish Hunter said...

Saddd but so so glad you're okay! And glad the van's safe too so you can keep filling it to the brim with lovely things :)